So I've had this silky satin skirt I got at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale in August in my closet for a while, but just wasn't feeling inspired to wear it. As soon as the Winter season rolled in, I knew exactly how I wanted to rock it!
The latest must-have outfit of the season is the coveted comfy chunky sweater and silk satin skirt. I've seen it pop-up time and time again paired with some great accessories that include hair accessories (see my matador headband) and booties.
I think this look can be flattering on all shapes and sizes, as long as you pay careful, and I mean SUPER close attention to proportions!
If you're top heavy, like me, it's easy to feel like a melting ice cream cone (which, girl, you do you, but that's not the look I'm going for). My easy trick is to just tuck in the front of the sweater in order to define and give myself a waist. If your look is pretty monotone in terms of colors and/or textures, add a cute belt!
You can also opt for a cropped chunky sweater so that you always have the exact proportions you want. A cropped chunky sweater is also great if you plan to layer a button up under. That turns this whole look into a great boss babe heading to the boardroom look.
Need some more tips & inspo? Let's peek below at some of our favorite celebs & IG bloggers who are absolutely slaying the outfit of the month ( #ootm )!
Celebrity Style Inspiration
From left to right:
1. Victoria Beckham: I'm just gonna go ahead and say it, Posh Spice can do no wrong in my book! Here she has more of a pleated skirt with an animal print. A print skirt is great as well for top heavy babes like myself! I also think Victoria avoids looking too top heavy because she's balanced out the look by pushing up her sleeves and rocking some chunkier boots.
2. Gigi Hadid: This girl is so ready for date night in this look! A satin skirt with a slit is just 100x times sexier (probably wouldn't recommend this style for the workplace). And pairing it with a tall boot is so chic! I know Gigi is a supermodel, but the slit and boots help make her legs look so long, and that definitely balances out the chunky turtleneck sitch she has going on. Although the look is monotone, the various textures keep it cool and interesting.
3. Megan Markle: This outfit made me gasp when I saw it! I know to passerby it's probably boring, but the way these colors come together is stunning! This is the perfect monotone look because, well it isn't really monotone! To keep from looking like a crayon out of the Crayola 64-pack, pair similar hues within the same color palette. I think the fact that her skirt is silk and her shoes are velvet make it look so trendy and expensive too.
4. Priyanka Chopra: Priyanka has recently become the fashionista I never knew I needed in my life! I love this look because the orange is unexpected, but so perfectly paired with the nude coat and sweater. This is a great way to not only try out this trend, but to try out a new color. What I think is important to note here is that the color is away from her face and so it isn’t as in-your-face.
Instagram Blogger Style Inspiration
From left to right:
1. Lombard&Fifth : I love the accessories that Veronica wore here. Again, the monotone look would otherwise be minimal if it weren't for details such as the sweater embellishments. (Also that hat & bag are amazing!)
2. Angerella: Angela's look is so chic, it looks like she stole it out of the pages of Harper's Bazaar! The print of the skirt is fabulous! And the sweater just fits so perfectly in terms of proportions because it accentuates a long leg line. The sandal also helps continue that leg line.
3. JenniferLake: Just like everything else that Jennifer wears, this look is crisp and so close to perfection! The slight pops of lilac provide some dimension, as do the opposing textures of the sweater and skirt. She's also showing off a great example of tucking in the sweater to accentuate a waist.
Feeling inspired? Here are some awesome finds that I think will be perfect to get you outfitted in this month's must-have look!
1. black velvet all over pearl padded hair crown headband - $14, ASOS
2. Padded Hairband - $10, H&M
3. Velvet Padded Headband - $5, Forever 21
4. statement padded headband with luxe embellishment - $20, ASOS
5. ALEX BRAIDED HEADBAND - $25, BaubleBar
1. Chunky Open-Knit Turtleneck Sweater - $30, Forever 21
2. Women's Nine West Wool-Blend Cuff-Sleeve Turtleneck Sweater - $48, Kohl's
3. chunky rib balloon sleeve sweater in lofty yarn - $45, ASOS
4. My Only Sunshine Sweater - $65, ShopBop
5. Women's Crewneck Chunky Pullover Sweater - $25, Target
6. Drop Shoulder Leopard Print Sweater - $13, SHEIN
7. IRIS & INK Ingrid intarsia-knit turtleneck sweater - $82, The Outnet
8. Women's Casual Fit Crewneck Pullover Sweater - $18, Target
9. Grid Drop Shoulder Turtleneck Sweater - $19, SHEIN
10. Ribbed Turtleneck Top - $10, Lane Bryant
Silk Midi Skirts
1. Spotty Check Satin Midi Skirt - $14, Nasty Gal
2. Maternity satin midi slip skirt with fluted hem - $45, ASOS
3. Pratt Skirt - $178, Reformation
4. Shiny Dancer Skirt - $88, ShopBop
5. Women's Plus Size Midi Satin Skirt - $21, Target
6. GIBSON x Fall Refresh Bias Cut Pull-On Skirt - $62, Nordstrom
7. Plus Size Satin Midi Skirt - $16, Forever 21
8. LC Lauren Conrad Satin Slip Midi Skirt - $37, Kohl's
9. Lioness Bias Midi Skirt - $72, ShopBop
10. Satin Midi Skirt - $35, GAP
1. Cone Heel Pointy Toe Back Zip Ankle Boots - $25, SHEIN
2. Women's Valerie Microsuede City Ankle Bootie - $35, Target
3. Faux Croc Leather Booties - $35, Forever 21
4. Snakeskin Print Chunky Heel Side Zipper Boots - $27, SHEIN
5. Nine West Women's Ilioria Ankle Boots - $36, Kohl's
Thanks for reading!
-The B of V
#trending #ootd #ootn #plussizefashionblogger #plussize #victoriabeckham #gigihadid #meganmarkle #priyankachoprajonas #salinas #salinasblogger #salinasfashionblogger #silkskirt #satinskirt #silksatinskirt #musthave #shoppingguide #plussizeshoppingguide #fashionshopping #fashionshoppingguide